Conflict resolution in the field of doctoral studies
The Royal Decree 99/2011 of January 28, by which the official doctorate teachings are regulated, indicates that a procedure has to be established for the resolution of conflicts that may arise within the scope of the doctoral programs (article 11.8).
The Regulations of the Doctorate School of the University of Lleida indicate that the Steering Committee is responsible for resolving conflicts that arise in the different bodies of the Doctoral School, respecting the one set out in the Statutes of the University of Lleida.
Procedure to follow:
- The affected person, if the researcher in training is the director of the thesis or the tutor, must send a signed and registered letter to the director of the Doctoral School.
- The Doctoral School has to inform the academic committee of the doctorate program of the existence of the conflict.
- The director of the Doctoral School, within a maximum period of one month, must call the Steering Committee, which must propose a procedure to resolve the complaint. Once this procedure has been completed, it has to issue a resolution proposal and must submit it to the rector.
- To issue the resolution proposal, the Steering Committee, if it considers it appropriate, may request information from the different parties involved in the conflict (researcher in training, director or director of the thesis, tutor or tutor of the thesis, academic commission of the program ...).
- To issue the resolution proposal, the Steering Committee, if applicable, can interview members of the university community who can help in the resolution of the conflict.
- Finally, the rector has to resolve within a maximum period of fifteen days, in accordance with the proposal issued by the Steering Committee.
- The decisions of the rector exhaust the administrative process, and against them, independently of its immediate execution, in accordance with article 8 of Law 29/1998, of July 13, governing the Contentious-Administrative Jurisdiction, the Interested parties may file a contentious-administrative appeal before the Administrative Litigation Court of Lleida, within two months of the day following the notification of the decision, as established in article 46 of the aforementioned law. Interested parties may bring any other remedy they deem appropriate.
- Irrespective of this, and taking into account the Statutes of the University of Lleida, if the interested person chooses to address the trustee or grievance trustee, the Steering Committee can not propose to the rector the decision until that body has not ruled on the complaint.